Combining engineering excellence, a passion for performance, and unrivalled hand-detailing, Twisted Automotive is a Land Rover Defender modification specialist based in Thirsk, North Yorkshire. Its founder and MD has built a business around the Defender; protecting and celebrating the iconic vehicle. Everything they do is focused on this, it’s their mission, it runs in their blood – protecting the Defender heritage is what Twisted Automotive lives for.
Our challenge is to convey this passion and build brand awareness for Twisted Automotive. This is to ultimately drive enquiries and sales, but also to position Twisted Automotive as an employer of choice and an established business both at a local Yorkshire level, and nationally.
Coupled with this we have a focus on raising the profile of Twisted Automotive’s founder and owner Charles Fawcett. Again this requirement needs to extend beyond the region and show Fawcett as a serious player in the vehicle aftermarket – both nationally and internationally.
We need Twisted Automotive owners and potential buyers to see the brand in the media they consume. A robust press office programme is in place that reaches all segments of the media – from the motoring pages of the nationals, through to farming and country pursuits magazines.
Media and influencers are key to driving advocacy and recommendation so we engage with journalists at a national, regional, local and specialist level, across print and broadcast media, to convey product news and developments, launches, business-interest stories, other announcements – while ensuring that Fawcett’s voice is added to relevant narratives. Highlights to-date include a full page in the Daily Telegraph and The Independent, full feature in Stuff magazine, with a full review by Jeremy Clarkson for the Sunday Times in print and online.
Where possible, we want media to experience the brand first-hand to help drive brand love through events and exclusive experiences. Journalist test drives and vehicle loans have been a key activity driver alongside supporting events such as Top Marques in Monaco, and Twisted Automotive joining Welcome to Yorkshire Y30 club and being a key feature of the Welcome to Yorkshire caravan.
We proactively comment on industry developments and seek out opportunities to position Twisted Automotive as an authority on related issues and news. When it comes specifically to boosting the profile of Fawcett, we focus on placing profile articles, driving business comment, and showcasing both his and Twisted Automotive’s successes through award entries and wins. We also draft blog posts for his personal LinkedIn profile.
Our role goes beyond pure media relations and we are increasingly working on content creation for Twisted Automotive. This includes writing articles for their website and quarterly newsletter.
Since April 2017, our work has included:
- Raising awareness of Twisted Automotive through targeted media relations across consumer, business and industry media
- Researching and liaising with motoring journalists and bloggers to offer Test Drives and visits to Twisted Automotive’s HQ in return for reviews of the vehicles
- Reflecting Fawcett’s entrepreneurship and business acumen, through award submissions and comment opportunities on local TV and radio
- Creating news items around Twisted Automotive’s business milestones, CSR and new collections, such as Remake History
- Forging a partnership with Welcome to Yorkshire and other organisations and events to drive brand awareness
- Publicising Twisted Automotive’s presence at key motoring events such as the Geneva Motor Show as well as supporting the brand’s own branded events including its open day and Yorkshire 300 road trip
- Using Twisted Automotive’s brand ambassador, extreme endurance athlete Sean Conway, to champion the vehicles
- Working closely with Twisted Automotive’s sister company LR Motors to raise awareness of its services and increase car sales
- Documenting Twisted Automotive’s victory against Jaguar Land Rover after a three-year IP court battle.
In a 12 month period we secured over 70 pieces of coverage across all media tiers and successfully connected key motoring influencers with the vehicles through loans and test drives. Media outreach has resulted in nearly 75 million opportunities to see with all secured coverage, including 100% message delivery and calls to action.
Exclusive content secured on The Daily Telegraph and The Independent resulted in 13 individual brand mentions including the headline. A three minute broadcast interview secured for Fawcett on BBC Look North also portrayed himself and Twisted Automotive as market experts.
Twisted Automotive/Fawcett have been shortlisted for awards on four occasions, which represents a 100% success rate from our nomination submissions. The Awards are Insider Media’s 42 under 42, the Institute of Directors Awards, Yorkshire Post’s Excellence in Business Awards and the York Press Business Awards.
- 209 pieces of coverage generated since April 2017 across target media, exceeding KPIs with 104% more coverage generated YOY and 45% increase in reach YOY to 106,009,087
- Key pieces included 3 broadcast (local and national), 19 business, 18 national (all broadsheets and two tabloids)
- Secured 13 test drives and secured 30 pieces of coverage in consumer motoring media
- Secured 27 pieces of coverage around the JLR story – organic website traffic increased by 65% when the story broke.